Bali bombing suspects given 23-year sentence recommendation in Guantanamo Bay


A military panel at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba recommended 23 years in detention on Friday (Saturday morning AEDT) for two Malaysian men in connection with deadly 2002 bombings in Bali, a spokesman for the military commission said.

The recommendation, following guilty pleas earlier this month under plea bargains for longtime Guantanamo detainees Mohammed Farik Bin Amin and Mohammed Nazir Bin Lep, marks comparatively rare convictions in the two decades of proceedings by the US military commission at Guantanamo.

Guantanamo military commission spokesman Ronald Flesvig confirmed the sentencing recommendations.

Bali Bombing
The wreckage of the Sari night club and surrounding buildings are seen in this aerial view Oct. 15, 2002 in Kuta, Bali. Relatives of some of the more than 200 people killed in 2002 bombings on the resort island of Bali are testifying at a sentencing hearing at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. Two Malaysian men, both longtime detainees at Guantanamo, have pleaded guilty in connection with the bombing. (AP Photo/Achmad Ibrahim, File) (AP)
The extremist group Jemaah Islamiyah killed 202 people, including 88 Australians, Indonesians and others in two nearly simultaneous bombings at nightspots on the resort island of Bali.

The two defendants denied any role or advance knowledge of the attacks but under the plea bargains admitted they had over the years conspired with the network of militants responsible. The sentence recommendation still requires approval by the senior military authority over Guantanamo.

The two are among a total of 780 detainees brought to military detention at Guantanamo under the George W. Bush administration’s “war on terror” following the September 11, 2001, attacks on the US. There have been only a handful of convictions over the years — eight, according to one advocacy group, Reprieve.

Defendants in some of the biggest attacks, including 9/11, remain in pretrial hearings. Prosecutors are seeking negotiated agreements to close that case and some others.

The prosecutions have been plagued by logistical difficulties, frequent turnover of judges and others, and legal questions surrounding the torture of detainees during CIA custody in the first years of their detention.

A 2002 file photo of an aerial view of the devastating Bali bombing blast scene as Australian Federal Police forensic experts along with their Indonesian counterparts begin sifting through the rubble. (AAP)

The military’s head of defence for the Guantanamo proceedings blamed the Bush administration’s early handling of the detainees — which included holding at secret “black sites” and torture in CIA custody — for the more than 20-year delay in the trial.

The slow pace “was extremely distressing and frustrated the desire of everyone for accountability and justice,” Brigadier-General Jackie Thompson said in a statement.

Thirty detainees remain at Guantanamo. Sixteen of them have been cleared and are eligible for transfer out if a stable country agrees to take them. “The time for repatriating or transferring the cleared men is now,” Thompson said. He said the same for three others held at Guantanamo but never charged.

As part of their plea bargains, the two Malaysian men have agreed to provide testimony against a third Guantanamo detainee, an Indonesian man known as Hambali, in the Bali bombings.

Relatives of some of those killed in the Bali bombings testified on Wednesday in a hearing in advance of sentencing, with the two accused in the courtroom and listening attentively.

“The reach of this atrocity knew no bounds, and has affected very many people,” testified Matthew Arnold of Birmingham, England, who lost his brother in the attacks.

A panel of five military officers delivered the recommendation after listening to the sentencing testimony.

The US has held the two men at Guantanamo since 2006. Guantanamo authorities said the sentencing range before the military panel did not include an option to waive time already served.

Local news media in Malaysia have said that authorities there as of last year were exploring bringing the two back to their home country.



Source link

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *