New York dancer Órla Baxendale dies after suffering severe allergic reaction to cookies that contained undisclosed peanuts


A British dancer has died after suffering a severe allergic reaction to a cookie which contained undisclosed peanuts.

Órla Baxendale, 25, died in New York earlier in January after going into anaphylactic shock when she ate a vanilla Florentine cookie, according to her family’s lawyers.

Baxendale had moved to New York from the UK to pursue her dancing career.

Watch the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>

“She was a radiant and brave soul who pursued her dreams relentlessly, leaving an indelible mark on the hearts of those who knew her,” the lawyers said in a statement.

“Her sudden loss is not only a personal tragedy for her family and friends but also a significant loss to the artistic community.

“Órla’s family, devastated by this unimaginable loss, wishes to express their gratitude for the outpouring of support and tributes from around the world.

“Our thoughts and sympathies go out to the family, friends, and the global dance community mourning the loss of this extraordinary individual.”

Orla Baxendale moved to New York to pursue her dancing career. Credit: Gair, Gair, Conason, Rubinowitz, Bloom, Hershenhorn, Steigman & Mackauf law firm.

Following her death, US supermarket chain Stew Leonard’s, where Baxendale purchased the cookies, issued a recall for the products over the undisclosed allergen.

Her family’s lawyers now allege her death was preventable and say it occurred due to the “gross negligence and reckless conduct of the manufacturer and/or the sellers”.

“This failure in proper disclosure (of the cookie’s contents) has led to this devastating yet preventable outcome,” they said.

One of the family’s lawyers, Marijo Adminey, said Baxendale was “very careful and hyper-vigilant” about what she ate and always checked the ingredients on products.

“She always carried an EpiPen with her and surrounded herself with people who know how to administer one,” Adminey said, New York Post reports.

“In fact, when this tragic and preventable incident occurred, and after she began to have an anaphylactic reaction, an EpiPen was used but due to the severity of her allergy, it was not effective.”

Baxendale was a talented dancer. Credit: Instagram

In tributes posted to Instagram by her sisters, Baxendale was remembered as a “dreamer”.

“She aimed for the stars and truly deeply lived for her dreams every day of her life,” her sister Ciara wrote.

“I’ll will never ever, as long as I am on this earth, stop talking about how radiant, how beautiful, how kind, how cool, how hilarious, how witty, how vibrant she was.

“I’ll carry her with me always, in my heart, and by my side.

“It is just incomprehensible that allergies can take lives and it’s a tragedy and a living nightmare that they do.

“Please, please educate yourself and everyone around you about anaphylaxis, how to use epipens and how to spot the warning signs for severe allergic reactions.”



Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *